Saturday, February 10, 2007

Freakwave



I'll admit that one of my only true vices is the fact that I like to watch Kevin Costner's mega-flop Waterworld. Seriously, any time it's on. Actually every time it's on. I know, I know.

It's actually not the film itself that's compelling (though it's competently done) -- it’s the idea of the film. The concept is what my pre-pubescent dreams were made of. Post-apocalyptic action a la Mad Max but in the water? Man, I was so there in 1985. In fact, that's practically the only game I played in the pool - the lone survivor in a water wasteland of mutants and my brother… You get the picture.



So it comes as no surprise that I'd love Brendan McCarthy's Freakwave. This is essentially the same story as Waterworld just made ten years earlier. What? Yeah, Waterworld effectively ripped off this comic book series that has its roots in a film proposal circulated in the mid-80s. Alas, it joins the slagheap of other great ideas - Jodorowsky's Dune, the post-apocalyptic Easy Rider 2- that never materialized. At least we have a few comic panels and production art pieces.

No comments: